Thursday, June 21, 2012

She Bought Vegetables

I think it's important to begin by saying...One ounce is a very small amount of food. As in, my sister's hamster would scoff at the amount of morsel that is.

I bought a scale to weigh my food. I hate it. (Actually, I love it. It's stainless steel and lightened my pocket book by about $30 and it's really small and cute). I'm convinced it doesn't like me and secretly add's an 1/8 ounce to everything I weigh. Spiteful.

(Confession: I occasionally go over 1 ounce, like when I discovered that peanut butter adds an extra 0.4 ounces to my 0.9 ounce piece of bread. . . I'm not eating toast without peanut butter. Not happening. You may say, "Mary, you can't break your own rules!" to which I'll reply, "What rules? You mean the ones I arbitrarily created. Watch me arbitrarily break them! I'm still eating less than my sister's hamster!")

We've established: I don't eat much during "meal times" and that makes the workday seem like someone dropped a whale on top of me. And fruit doesn't fill the way you'd think it would. Disappointing.

So I bought vegetables.

Lots of them, really. I raided a VONS at like 9 o'clock last night and bought romaine lettuce, green bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, grapes (not a vegetable, I know) and string peas.

I've mastered salad-making. (Secret: I use apples and dried cranberries.) I eat salads at work. I eat salads at home. I go for 5 miles, do some chin ups, drink lemon water to keep myself from vomiting up my one ounce meals and then ... I eat salad.

One ounce is not a lot of food and I know there are those of you who are still freaking out on my behalf. I want you to know that (A.) I freak out enough on my own so...Yeah. That department is covered (Please see any of my latest facebook profile pictures for substantive evidence). And (B.) I can eat fruits/vegetables whenever I want. And I do. Happily.

(The picture is actually my sister's hamster. His name is spitwad and he hisses at me in the mornings.)

Psalm 19:14
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, oh LORD, my rock and my redeemer."

No comments:

Post a Comment