Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Never say 'Diet'

Explosions, weeping, skyscrapers crumbling to the ground. Imagine a herd of stampeding water buffalo (or watch The Lion King) coming straight for you - no understanding that they should stop, that you'll get hurt, that Simba's dad will die...

That's a little bit what I feel like every time I tell someone I'm on a diet. And it doesn't matter how I phrase it.

"It's a nutrition plan."

"I just want to get healthy."

"It's not about how I look, it's about how I feel." (<--definitely not totally true.)

"I ran out of money to buy more than one ounce of food a day. Bummer, right?"

People judge. I had NO IDEA people could be SO JUDGY. (I made up that word. Please forgive.) In a society where obesity is obviously a major problem, I don't understand why girls who do not appear to be overweight get picked on for trying lose weight. Like society is the know-it-all when it comes to each individual and the size they feel most comfortable with.

Just look at Kate Middleton. Gorgeous, fit, athletic. You know people were saying before her wedding that she was anorexic? Women in Hollywood get blasted for putting on a few pounds and for losing a few pounds. The magazines tie it to "mental breakdowns" or insecurity issues or whatever they have to, true or not. (I know this because it's all I see these days when I'm standing in line with my 4 lbs of fruits/vegetables at VONS around 10 p.m.).

So I'm going to say this once on this blog, and only once. (I promise).  I think people need to lighten up. Seriously.

Staying in shape (or even just staying at a healthy weight) is difficult for anyone, and even harder for certain people. And while I understand that there are health concerns involved in any diet or exercise plan, I think too many people put on the "doctor" hat (I know they don't wear hats - bear with me) before even considering to put on the "friend," "cheerleader" or "support group" hat.

I don't want to point fingers or accuse good intention-ed people of ruining my day (after half a bag of carrot sticks, its not like it was shaping up to be a thriller anyway). But I do want to suggest that people, society, internet trolls or whoever happens to actually be reading this, take a look at their own actions. It isn't just what goes in our mouth that makes us healthy or sick, it's what comes out.

I know that many people need someone with the "doctor" hat to help them out. Many people use diets incorrectly and unhealthily. Many people do have insecurity issues. Instead of questing, accusing or dissenting the individual's decision, we should be looking to that person's actual needs and acting as servants, as Christ would have us act. How can we edify, uplift and support this person - maybe not in their decision about diets or "health plans" but at least in their life and their walk.

James 3: 7-8
"7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

1 comment:

  1. Mary, you go girl. I wish I had the guts to do something like this, because I know what it's like to need it. I think our bodies are in somewhat the same shape, (though I'm sure yours will be in better before long). I know how utterly difficult it is eat different food from the rest of a large family. It is tough, especially if people call you crazy.

    Let's all hear it for the girl with guts and perseverance!

    ReplyDelete