Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mea Culpa -- I ate a cheeseburger

Actually...It was a Big Mac.  Only the bottom half, I might add!  And really, just the bottom half of the bottom half because I didn't eat the top bun.

It shouldn't be a huge deal because this definitely is not the first time that I broke my self-imposed, incredibly stupid one-ounce rule (probably definitely won't be the last).  And I only ate it because I had just finished a two mile run to the park where my church meets to play volleyball on Wednesdays.  The carrots I packed were already eaten.  AND I WAS HUNGRY.

But excuses are a dime a dozen (cheaper, actually, when you consider the effects of our government's recent printing fad).  I ate a McDonald's product -- the symbol of obesity on a global scale.  That's where desperate people go to eat when they can't find an In-N-Out OR a Jack in the Box.  I really blew it this time.  And it did not make the two mile run back any easier, either.

But why does this warrant a blog post?  Why talk about yet another failure?  Am I just writing this because I've run out of ways to procrastinate on my debate assignment that's due tomorrow morning?  (Yes, but only in part).

Really, I've been thinking about this since Wednesday when I ate that garsh-awful imitation dead-cow.  I let myself off the hook too often.  I indulge a little too much.  I say "just this once" a lot more than once!  (This is not to say that I haven't eaten my pet elephant's weight in carrots and boiled string peas, because I have . . . I've just eaten a lot of other stuff, too).

Weekends are the hardest, of course.  When everyone's having a good time, eating, talking, eating . . . Let's face it, all I ever notice is that they're eating.  Stuff I can't have.  That's when I'm put to the test (and when I most often give myself a hall pass).  I'm not really pushing myself!  Not really saying 'no!'  So then what was the point of any of this?

Just watched an episode of Common Law (exactly like Psyche except not as funny).  The white guy was on a cleanse where he only drinks that green stuff (you know what I'm talking about) and at the end he caves in and eats like chicken wings or something dumb.  That's always how it ends.  They always cave.  They give in!

I don't want that to be me.  I don't want there to be so many exceptions to my rules that the rules don't matter.  That would be like using a cup with holes in it or trying to play musical notes on a paper with no lines.  I'm stepping up my game.

Peddle to the metal, here.  Go big or go home.  Live free or die hard!  This just got real.


Also, I don't actually own a pet elephant.

Genesis 25:34
"Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright."

2 comments:

  1. That verse at the end... killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me smile...oh and by the way our society really does eat all the time! One year ago my mom had to have a permanent feeding tube and is not supposed to consume anything by mouth! Not very easy in this world...so the next time you struggle maybe her situation will make your decision easier...? For me it has really make me aware about the fact that nearly every gathering has food as the central theme. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete